The Emerging Fields are devoted to pioneering interdisciplinary research in new fields including the social sciences and humanities. The following list displays the research projects presently running in the five Emerging Fields. Successfully completed projects can be found on the subsequent websites of the individual Emerging Fields.
Projects marked with an asterisk (*) are short-term one-year pilot projects.
Extracting Dynamical Laws from Complex Data (EF1)
Scientists in Charge: Klaus-Robert Müller, Sebastian Pokutta, Markus Reiß
- EF1-10: Kernel Ensemble Kalman Filter and Inference
Péter Koltai, Nicolas Perkowski
- EF1-12: Learning Extremal Structures in Combinatorics
Sebastian Pokutta, Tibor Szabó
- EF1-14: Sparsity and Sample-Size Efficiency in Structured Learning
- EF1-15: Robust Multilevel Training of Artificial Neural Networks
Michael Hintermüller, Carsten Gräser
- EF1-16: Quiver Representations in Big Data and Machine Learning
- EF1-17: Data-Driven Robust Model Predictive Control under Distribution Shift
Jia-Jie Zhu, Michael Hintermüller
- EF1-18: Manifold-Valued Graph Neural Networks
Christoph von Tycowicz, Gabriele Steidl
- EF1-19: Machine Learning Enhanced Filtering Methods for Inverse Problems
- EF1-20: Uncertainty Quantification and Design of Experiment for Data-Driven Control
- EF1-21: Scaling up Flag Algebras in Combinatorics
Sebastian Pokutta, Christoph Spiegel
- EF1-22: Bayesian Optimization and Inference for Deep Networks
Claudia Schillings, Vladimir Spokoiny
- EF1-23: On a Frank-Wolfe Approach for Abs-Smooth Optimization
Sebastian Pokutta, Andrea Walther, Zev Woodstock
- EF1-24: Expanding Merlin-Arthur Classifiers Interpretable Neural Networks through Interactive Proof Systems
Sebastian Pokutta, Stephan Wäldchen
- EF1-25: Wasserstein Gradient Flows for Generalised Transport in Bayesian Inversion
Martin Eigel, Claudia Schillings, Gabriele Steidl
Successfully completed projects of Emerging Field 1 can be found here.
Digital Shapes (EF2) (2019-2022)
This EF was closed in 2022. The two ongoing research projects were transferred to AA3 and EF3:
Successfully completed projects of Emerging Field 2 can be found here.
Model-Based Imaging (EF3)
Scientists in Charge: Michael Hintermüller, Vladimir Spokoiny, Gabriele Steidl
Successfully completed projects of Emerging Field 3 can be found here.
Multi-Agent Social Systems (EF45)
This Emerging Field evolved from a merger of the former Emerging Fields Particles and Agents (EF4) and Concepts of Change in Historical Processes (EF5).
Successfully completed projects of Emerging Field 4 can be found here.
Successfully completed projects of Emerging Field 5 can be found here.
Scientists in Charge: Christian Bayer, Natasa Djurdjevac Conrad, Wolfgang König, Nicolas Perkowski
- EF45-1: Agent-Based Modeling of Co-Evolving Opinion and Social Dynamics in Online Media
Nataša Djurdjevac Conrad, Ana Djurdjevac, Christof Schütte, Carsten Hartmann, Philipp Lorenz-Spreen
- EF4-5: An Agent-Based Understanding of Green Growth
- EF4-7: The Impact of Dormancy on the Evolutionary, Ecological and Pathogenic Properties of Microbial Populations
Jochen Blath, Maite Wilke Berenguer
- EF4-8: Concentration Effects and Collective Variables in Agent-Based Systems
Jobst Heitzig, Péter Koltai, Nora Molkenthin, Stefanie Winkelmann
- EF4-10: Coherent Movements in Co-evolving Agent–Message Systems
Felix Höfling, Robert I.A. Patterson
- EF4-12: Agent-Based Models of SARS-CoV2 Transmission: Multilevel Identification and Network-Based Reduction
Nataša Djurdjevac Conrad, Martin Weiser, Sarah Wolf, Edda Klipp
- EF4-13: Modeling Infection Spreading and Counter-Measures in a Pandemic Situation Using Coupled Models
Tim Conrad, Kai Nagel, Christof Schütte
- EF5-6: Evolution Models for Historical Networks
Benjamin Ducke, Max Klimm, Guillaume Sagnol